USA: Fate of American Horses Depends on Your Legislator!
Update—November 20, 2017: The Senate Appropriations Committee released its version of the Interior Appropriations bill, and thankfully it preserves longstanding protections for wild horses and burros against unnecessary killing and commercial slaughter. In July, the House Appropriations Committee voted to eliminate these protections, giving the BLM a free pass to use our tax dollars to kill thousands of federally protected wild horses and burros. It is essential that the Senate language end up in the final bill—please contact your legislators today.
Earlier this year the House Appropriations Committee made two destructive decisions for equine welfare:
- They failed to pass an amendment prohibiting the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) from using taxpayer dollars to inspect horse slaughter facilities. Since 2007, this language has kept the grisly horse slaughter industry from coming back to the U.S.
- After decades of protection, the Committee voted to allow the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) to use tax dollars to destroy our federally protected wild horses and burros. The BLM, which is under the Department of Interior, released a budget proposal earlier this year that encouraged the killing and commercial slaughter of these icons of the American West.
Fortunately the Senate Appropriations Committee passed the amendment prohibiting the use of federal funds on horse slaughter, and preserved protections for our wild horses and burros. Unless the Senate language ends up in the final version of the Appropriations bill, our wild herds could face mass extermination at the hands of the agency meant to protect them and horse slaughter could return to American soil. Congress needs to hear that Americans will not tolerate this betrayal of our treasured equines.
What You Can Do
Congressional leaders will now decide the fate of our nation’s horses, so it is critical that your elected officials in Washington, D.C., know that you want to see American horses, both domestic and wild, protected. Please take these two actions NOW to ensure that the federal government does not resurrect the nightmarish horse slaughter industry in our communities or exterminate wild horses in the West.
1. Use the form below to email your U.S. legislators and urge them to support a ban on federal funding for horse slaughter and a prohibition on funds to kill healthy wild horses in the final Appropriations bill.
2. Then, please place three quick, polite phone calls: 1 to your representative in the U.S. House, and 1 each to your two U.S. senators. Find their names and numbers here, and below are scripts you may use when you place calls.
- When calling your U.S. representative, say: “My name is [YOUR NAME] and I am from [CITY, STATE]. As your constituent, I urge you to protect our nation’s horses from slaughter and our wild horses from mass extermination in the final FY18 Appropriations bill. Please also reach out to leadership and urge them to support these protections. Thank you.”
- When calling your U.S. senators, say: “My name is [YOUR NAME] and I am from [CITY, STATE]. As your constituent and a strong supporter of equine welfare, I urge you to please support the Senate versions of both the Agriculture Appropriations bill and the Interior Appropriations bill, which prohibit the use of federal funds for horse slaughter and the killing of healthy wild horses and burros. Thank you.”
On behalf of our nation’s horses, thank you!